Membership in the Texas Genealogical Society may be obtained by many routes of genealogical scholarship, endeavor or research.
Charter Members are those who became a member before Oct. 24, 2016.
Regular Membership qualifications may be drawn from the following list of qualifications, which is non-exclusive:
- Has authored one or more history, family history, heraldry, and/or genealogy books, with acceptable references.
- Has written one or more history, family history, heraldry, and/or genealogy articles published by a lineage, heritage, heraldry or genealogy publications.
- Has written a history, family history, heraldry, and/or genealogy periodic column for a newsletter or magazine
- Has served as a genealogist/registrar for a state lineage/heritage society
- Has served as a genealogist/registrar for a national lineage/heritage society
- Has founded a national lineage, heraldry, heritage or genealogy society
- Has founded a local, state or national lineage/heritage organization or genealogy society
- Has organized a local, state or national family history/history and/or genealogy seminar.
- Has organized a state or national lineage/heritage society meeting
- Has served as a speaker at a state or national lineage/heritage society meeting or seminar
- Has served on a lineage/heritage/ heraldry/ genealogy state or national committee
- Has served as an officer of a state lineage /heritage/ heraldry/genealogy society
- Has served as a general officer, trustee, or member of the executive committee of a national heritage/ genealogy society
- Has served as the President General/ Governor General, etc. of a national lineage/heritage/ genealogy society
- Has served as the editor of a state or national genealogy, lineage or heritage society newsletter or magazine
- Has won one or more awards for writing history/family history magazine articles
- Has won one or more awards for writing history/family history books
- Has served as a frequent speaker/principal participant at state or national meetings of lineage/history/family history societies
- Has served as a frequent speaker/principal participant at state or national meetings of non lineage/history/family history societies on a topic relating to lineage/history/family history
- Has served as a frequent speaker/principal participant at state or national historic monuments, national battlefields, U.S. Presidential birthday celebrations
- Has traveled extensively on behalf of a national lineage/history/family history or genealogical society.
- Has made a significant contribution to the field of history/family history/ genealogy or heraldry or to heritage/lineage societies
- The selection committee shall consider the number of years the applicant has been active in any of the above activities. Most candidates must have been active in the above areas for a minimum of ten (15) years.
- Is a Board-certified genealogist in one of the designated sub categories. For further information contact email@example.com
- Has received awards from a genealogy, heritage, lineage or heraldry State Society
- Has received awards from a genealogy, heritage, lineage or heraldry National Society
- Has received awards from a genealogy, heritage, lineage or heraldry International Society
- Has recorded his or her personal arms with an appropriate international organization.
- Has been knighted by an international Order
- Has been promoted by an international Order
- Has received medals from an international Order
- Has designed his or her personal arms
- Has recorded his or her arms with a recognized jurisdiction.
- Has served as the Genealogist or Registrar of a Texas lineage or heritage society to process the application to insure genealogical descent. Extra points for processing 26 or more applications each year. Extra points for processing 51 or more applications per year.
- Has served as a librarian in a genealogy library.
- Other factors that may be agreed among the Executive Committee.
Diplomat Membership would be individuals who have served as a National leader, which may include those serving as a “national Trustee or member of the national executive committee,” or who has published a book on genealogy/history or family hstory, or those who have become certified as a genealogist.
Leadership of lineage or genealogy organizations may include, but not be limited to:
Society of the Cincinnati
Military Society of the War of 1812
Aztec Club of 1847
Society of the Order of the Southern Cross
Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States
General Society Sons of the Revolution
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Huguenot Society of America
Sons and Daughters of Montana Pioneers
Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865
Holland Society of New York
Huguenot Society of South Carolina
Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic
National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution
Colonial Dames of America
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
Naval Order of the United States
Daughters of the Republic of Texas
National Society of the Colonial Dames of America
National Society United States Daughters of 1812
Sons of the Republic of Texas
General Society of Colonial Wars
Daughters of the Cincinnati
United Daughters of the Confederacy
National Society Children of the American Revolution
National Society of New England Women
Order of Indian Wars of the United States
Sons of Confederate Veterans
National Society Colonial Daughters of the Seventeenth Century
Order of the Founders and Patriots of America
Children of the Confederacy
General Society of Mayflower Descendants
National Society Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America
Baronial Order of Magna Charta
Dames of the Loyal Legion of the United States
Order of Americans of Armorial Ancestry
Alden Kindred of America
Descendants of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
Order of Descendants of Colonial Cavaliers
National Society Americans of Royal Descent
National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims
National Society Magna Charta Dames
Order of First Families of Virginia
National Society Daughters of the Union 1861-1865, Inc.
National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
National Society Daughters of the American Colonists
National Society of the Dames of the Court of Honor
National Society Daughters of Colonial Wars
Military Order of the Purple Heart
Society of the Descendants of the Colonial Clergy
Order of thee in the United States of America
National Huguenot Society
National Society of Sons of the American Colonists
National Society Southern Dames of America
Flagon and Trencher
San Jacinto Descendants
Hood’s Texas Brigade Association
Society of the Descendants of Washington’s Army at Valley Forge
United States Cavalry Association
Descendants of Austin’s Old Three Hundred
Associated Daughters of Early American Witches
Society of the Descendants of the Signers of the Constitution
Los Floridanos Society
Hereditary Order of the Families of Presidents & First Ladies of America
Hereditary Society Daughters of Founding Fathers of America 1606-1656
Descendants of Sheriffs & Constables of Colonial & Antebellum America
Order of the Founders of North America 1492-1692